Saturday, December 5, 2009

December 2, 2009 11 days until departure!

God dag!

Well I haven't received my flight plans and departure info yet and I am both nervous and anxious to leave. No joke i am getting so tired of being inside all day, i love to be outside. I think it's so interesting how many things we take for granted when we have them all of the time. That's one of the biggest things i've learned thus far is how much I care about all the blessings i had before. I mean i still have them i'm just leaving them behind for a period of time. But i never realized how nice it is to just say i feel like taking a walk, and then doing it haha. Having said that, I am happy to be a missionary and servant of the Lord! It is such a privilege and honor to try to repay even a small fraction of what He has given me. I am so grateful for all the things i am learning here and i feel like i've grown so much closer to my savior. I can't wait to help bring this truth to a person in Norway and see that light come into their eyes that says, "I know it's true!"

So i'm really starting to miss listening to music. I've been singing a lot but believe it or not that can actually get old after a while haha.. Another reason why i can't wait to get into the field, of course that's obviously not the biggest reason:) I'm happy to report that the language has been coming along much better (though it's still quite difficult to understand someone when they speak it at their normal speed). Elder Brush told me the other night i was saying some stuff in Norwegian in my sleep! haha it's weird cuz the words i've learned and practiced saying i find myself just saying them and not having to think of the words in English first, It's wonderful!

So thanksgiving was a little different here as you can probably imagine. We started the day off with plenty of study time and then a morning devotional after that. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke and it was so sweet! He went about his talk a little differently. A few weeks ago we were all asked to write down questions about missionary work and submit them to the MTC prez. So Elder Holland picked some of these and decided to answer them. He just taught us by the spirit and it was so powerful. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was when he said, "It's good that your homesick; in fact I want you to be!" He talked about how important the family is and that we should never forget that. It was such a powerful meeting. We had our thanksgiving dinner after that (not anything like what you make mom:) And after that we did a humanitarian service project where we put together first aid kits. I was definately homesick cuz we had lots of extra time to think; so i had to make sure and keep myself busy haha.

Something i've thought about a lot more this past week is how happy you can feel when you forget about yourself and worry about others. I've been striving to do this and when i do focus more on helping others i am so much happier. It reminds me of that scripture in Matthew that says he who finds his life shall lose it and he who loses his life for my sake shall find it. It almost seems backwards to think about but I know this is true! If you are feeling down and are searching for happiness; forget yourself and help others. It's difficult to do but the blessing that comes from it is almost indescribable.

Well i'm about out of time again.. This is always the fastest 30 min of my day haha. We are so blessed to have the truth in our lives! I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father that I have been given this opportunity to serve Him for these two years. I love this gospel, it makes me so happy and i don't know what i would do without it! I love you all and pray for you always! I have felt your prayers and thank you for them.

Lyyke til!

Love Elder Farrer

No comments:

Post a Comment