Sunday, May 30, 2010

End of week 5

We had Mission Conference last Wednesday and Thursday. I think it could be included in my list of one of the best thing's of my mission thus far. Oh and it was great cuz I got to see people from Oslo like Elder and Sister Thomas (the Young Adult Outreach Center couple). Almost every talk was an answer to one prayer or another. It was great cuz it gave me the chance to take a step back and evaluate how I have been doing things. I felt like I learned a lot about myself, missionary work, and Christ. I came out of the conference with a new outlook on everything and I am much, much happier now :)

I don't know why but I had a set image of how missionary work/life is supposed to be and I just tried to live it in that manner. Basically I had just forgotten that I am still me, I'm still the same person but with a calling. I felt like I had to be perfect all the time and "I shouldn't make mistakes because missionaries don't make mistakes" haha boy was I wrong. It's interesting to think about though because almost my entire focus was on me. It was about how "I" felt and how "I" was doing. I was reminded of the scripture in Matthew where it says "He who shall save his life shall lose it and he who shall lose his life for my sake shall find it." To any normal person that does not make any bit of sense whatsoever. But it really is true! I was focusing on how my language sounded when I taught or how good I was at using the scripture instead of thinking of how the person felt who was hearing our message. Now I've found the number one solution, developing Christlike attributes :) Easy task right? haha

Our teaches were a little on the low side this week because we were out of our area for two full days but we did teach Karl Reinhard again. We got to his house and he was making dinner for us, that was quite the surprise. He had told us before he doesn't really cook, at all haha. We ate really buttery hashbrowns, eggs and very burnt bacon yum :) All topped with some fried onions haha. I just had to laugh when he handed me my plate and it had hardened food chunks on it from a past meal :) We taught him afterward and he still doesn't really accept the Book of Mormon so we're workin on that.

I had a really cool experience Thursday night after the conference was over. They dropped us off at the airport about an 45 minutes before our flight was scheduled to leave. So we go in through security and I head up to the desk to get our tickets the office had ordered for us. I handed the service lady my driver's license and she proceeded to look for my ticket. She got this puzzled look on her face and double checked my license. She said there was no ticket ordered under that name so I asked her to check under Grover (my comp). Once again, no ticket. Someone had forgotten to get us ticket's. By now it would be super expensive and it almost wouldn't be worth it. We went over to another service desk to see how much it would be to buy two tickets for that flight. Definitely way out of our price range, but they had another flight leaving at 10pm that would be much cheaper. We decided to go for that one instead.

After purchasing, the service guy told us to take it to the check in counter place and try to get on that plane anyway. I was just like, "what is this?" :) So I did what he suggested (this time I decided to speak in English in hope's that she would have compassion on a lost foreigner who doesn't have a flight haha) and gave her my ticket to see if we could get on this flight. She looked at the ticket and mumbled in Norwegian that the type of ticket we had was way difficult to change but she continued to try anyway. As she was workin on it I was just praying that we could get on the plane. Suddenly she printed out two little receipts and told us to come around to the front of the line. Not only were we able to pay less than half the price but we got on that plane and had a very nice flight home.

I've started to notice the "small miracles" that happen around me and it makes me so much more grateful for all that really goes on. It may have been something small but not making the earlier flight would have meant that we would have been out a lot later, past the 1030pm curfew. We may not see the ocean being parted in front of us but our Heavenly Father truly is always watching out for us even If we don't notice.

In mission conference Elder Berg, one of the missionary couples, told a story about going through hard times and then he said, "No matter how much we go through, it's the little bits of "joy" that make it all worth it." I find that true all too often. Sometimes I feel like it's way too tough and it would almost be easier to just give up but after getting to the point where I can look back at it all, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love,

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment