Monday, May 31, 2010

It's 60 F today!‏



Dear all,

So this last week we didn't have a big number of teaches but the one's that did happen were with very positive people and the the spirit was definitely present!

We got to teach Thor Åge and Evi (Thor is a less-active member who really wants to come back and Evi is his non-member girlfriend/wife) for the second time last week. It was great cuz during the teach when we were talking about the importance of reading the Book of Mormon everyday he talked about how much stronger you feel the spirit when you do read. Then he turned to her and said, "I'm not very good at reading everyday so I need you to help me. Can you help me?" It was the best! Then she talked about how she noticed how good she'd feel during the day's that she read versus days she didn't.

After we finished teaching Thor asked if either of us knew anything about computers cuz he couldn't get his laptop to connect with their wireless internet. I couldn't help but smile as I said, "Yeah, can try and fix it." It's one thing to fix a basic problem with the wireless (That I can stumble my way through) it's something entirely different to fix in Norwegian :) Luckily I could work my way through the "unknown" words and ended up fixing it for him. After it was all fixed he was so excited and just said (in English) "Ah man, I love you guys!) haha it was way funny.

As we were walking along the docks of Grimstad (about 30 min from central city of Arendal) the other day we met a Navajo Indian guy who is from Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Originally, we were supposed to be meeting someone else but they decided not to show up. It turned out he didn't speak or understand Norwegian but has been living in Norway for about 13 years. He has a wife and five kids here. We talked to him a little bit about how we have a prophet on the Earth today and he responded with, "Well I haven't heard of this prophet before but I think that's great!" We taught him the first lesson a day later and he told us about how his Indian Chief guys have passed down tales of how one day there will be one church for the world that is Jesus Christ's church. He's a way religious guy but very chill about finding the true church. Just kinda goes with the flow of things. So pretty much I think he's a Lamanite and he's going to get baptized :)

I realized a big part of why I don't feel like I'm doing so well in the language last week. I have often been avoiding talking with certain Norwegian's because I just plain couldn't understand the dialect they would answer me in. I decided to make an extra effort on talking to pretty much anyone and everyone Norwegian haha. I think it's helping, if anything it's helping me pick out the words that I don't know the meaning of (which is quite a few). But, it's all good :)

Today we went out to this campground (Hove) area and walked through the woods. We took a bunch of different trails and ended up coming out to the ocean (As you can see from the picture). I think if you want to get a good glimpse of eternity stand on a shoreline and look out to the ocean. I felt very small haha. But it was wonderful to think that as small as I am, Heavenly Father knows me. I don't know how anyone could look at everything around us and deny the existence of a higher power. Something about being out and away from the city reminded me of how much there is to this world. I'll just say that going there was time well spent :)

Sometimes I wonder, if people who aren't members of the church came along and saw what a day in the life of a missionary was like then they would believe. Cuz really no other church in the world has mission's like ours. I know some have a supposed "life long" mission but I'm pretty sure they just live in an area and are paid to run the church. I am so grateful for this opportunity I have been given.

Never have I had my very testimony attacked and rebuked so many times by strangers who don't even know me. But never has my testimony been stronger than it is now. One of my favorite things to do with people is after they have told me, "You can't tell me that you know it's true because nobody can know. You can only believe and hope." Then I proceed to look them right in the eyes and say, "Well I know it is true, and you can to." I never thought I'd be able to do that but I have and it feels so good :)

I know it's true and we're are so lucky to have that truth! I don't think I've had a single day where I didn't have at least one "beaten down" moment when it felt like the entire world was on my shoulders; but there's no giving up until the Savior comes again. Guess I better do my part right? :)

Thanks for all your prayers and support, they truly do help!

love:)

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment