Monday, July 19, 2010

How Long Have I Been Gone





Dear All,

We've been doing a lot of contacting and knocking on doors and the Lord is starting to bless us for our efforts. A pretty cool miracle happened on Friday. So we set out to go and try this guy who had told us multiple times that he was going to come to church but still hasn't come. When we got his apartment door and knocked nobody answered, what a bummer.. My companion and I thought to try the door on the next level, so we did. We knocked on the door and a younger boy answered the door. I began by saying that we were out to share a message about Jesus Christ. Before I could even finish he opened the door wide open and said, "Yes, come in!" His mom was sitting on the coach and told us to sit down. Her two young kids sat down next to her and they all three looked at us with expressions on their faces of "Alright, go ahead, we're all ears." I was so blown away at how easy and quick things went that by this time I was practically speechless! I just kept thinking, "What is this? What in the world is happening?!"

After regaining my composure I asked if it was alright that we begin with a prayer before teaching. She said, "Of course!" So I prayed. Afterward she told some interesting experiences she'd had through her life and how God had helped her with everything. We told her about the Book of Mormon and she said she'd like one for her and for her son to read (so he can learn about Christ). Once we were finished with the lesson we asked if we could come back tomorrow, she said yes :) We came back on Saturday and asked if she'd like to come to church. She was going out of town for a few days but said she'd come next week and we'll be meeting with them tonight to teach them more! It has been so amazing.

One other good story. Yesterday morning we had just arrived to church. Suddenly the cell phone began to ring, so I answered it and recognized the person on the other end, who was speaking very broken English, as Boris. We had met Boris on the street the weekend before last and could hardly communicate with him cuz of the language barrier. No Norwegian and very little English, very tough. He's from Lithuania and is here working almost all day, every day. So he calls and all he said was, "Hi...Boris... I coming church today... What clock starts?" I told him when it started in about ten minutes. He said "Okay bye." Next thing I knew he showed up in the church hallway, drenched from head to toe (it was raining a lot). It just amazed me! Here was a man who doesn't speak any languages that they speak here but felt like it was important to come to church, so he did. I really want to try and figure out a way to teach him better English but I'm not quite sure how yet. I may try and use the Book of Mormon in both languages and just see how far we could get haha. We'll see.

Next week is the Norwegian Grand Prix so we're only having Sacrament meeting. There will be boats racing around all throughout the harbor area so it supposedly gets pretty noisy during church hours.

Here's a few pictures. Norway is very green now. We're going for a bike ride after this so I'm hoping to get some good pictures of different areas. The next pictures is of me and some of the recycling can robots that were in an area we were knocking in one day :)

I hope you have a good week!

Love,

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment